After Dark modules
Hints and Tips
This page contains a (growing) list of hints and tips from hardened (and not so
hardened) After Dark programmers, with notes on some AD quirks, being compatible
with DarkSide, and more.
If you have any information that you'd like to contribute to this page,
please email it to me at email@example.com and I'll add it on.
Here are some ideas for headings (thanks Lloyd!):
- 1. Being compatible
- the subset of things you can rely on to work in Darkside and all the
After Dark compatibles, and things you need to work around/avoid.
DemoRect springs to mind, f'rinstance.
- 2. Graphics tips.
- Working with GWorlds and CopyBits, which seems to be a bit of a nightmare.
Looking good - drawing and animation tips, also stuff on using graphics packages for programmers who aren't artists. Masking.
- 3. Looking good in all savers
- handling the resized After Dark 3.0 about box, knowing what information
is and isn't displayed in various compatibles.
- 4. Multi-monitor support and getting it right.
- The next version of the FAQ will limit mention of modules to those that
do more than just blank every other screen, I think.
- 5. Compiling FAT modules.
- How to compile modules which will run on both 68k and PPC Macintosh
| Getting Started
| Hints & Tips
| Further Info